|Giro Rosa: Marianne Vos wins Stage VII|
|By Imelda March|
|Giro Rosa: Marianne Vos wins Stage VII|
|With the Pink Jersey in the hands of Mara Abbot Marianne settles for the Points Jersey.
At the finish line in Corbetta, it was a superb sprint and stage win for the olympic and world champion Marianne Vos (Rabo Woman Cycling Team), ahead of the 2-time world champion Giorgia Bronzini (Wiggle Honda) and of the American Shelley Olds (Team Tibco To The Top). After winning stage 3 in Cerro al Volturno and stage 4 in Castelfidardo, the incredible Dutchwoman stamped her authority once again over the 120-kilometer race which featured an 8-lap circuit, closing out what was a dominant stage racing performance in front of cheering crowds.
«It was a pity that I wasn’t able to battle for the Maglia Rosa this year, even though, 3 stage wins aren’t bad at all with only one day to go from the finish of the race. I suffered on the long climbs, but I gave my best every day to honour this spectacular race and the amazing public, who is always ready to support us», commented the worthy stage winner and Maglia Rosa in 2011 and 2012, under the hot sun of the Italian summer.
Also satisfied were Bronzini and Olds. Bronzini admited the superiority of the incredible Marianne Vos: «I tried to catch up with Marianne 150 meters from the finish line but she was really unbeatable. No excuses, she’s the strongest and today she really wanted to get the stage win, as she had already lost the opportunity to place well in the General Classification. Concerning my race performance, I am really satisfied to have the great stage win in Pontecagnano Faiano in the bag and I’ve already finish on the podium twice».
Olds and her teammates are already thinking about tomorrow’s stage: «I was really happy today to be on the podium with champions like Bronzini and Vos. They were helped by their teams, while I had to do it all by myself. There are only 5 of us in the team now, that’s why our priority was to protect Claudia Hausler, who saved all her energy for tomorrow to aim at second place in the General Classification».
Leader of the General Classification is Mara Abbott, who easily controlled the few attacks during today’s race together with her teammates from the USA National Team. «Until tomorrow, I won’t be sure to confirm the Giro Rosa victory. I will see you in 24 hours to comment on the Maglia Rosa that I am wearing» the American keeps repeating. During tomorrow’s individual time trial in Cremona, she will have to watch out for Tatiana Guderzo, who gained 3 seconds by winning the intermediate sprint today.
The best Italian on the GC has to close a 2’28’’ gap to the USA team leader in only 16 km. It will be tough, but not impossible. The rest of the podium is still open: Marianne Vos will want to have her say during tomorrow’s time trial, she will be try to get at least a third place on the podium, where the German, Claudia Hausler, now sits.
1. Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) 120,00 km in 2h52'07" average speed 41,832 km/h;|
2. Bronzini Giorgia (Wiggle Honda) s.t.
3. Olds Shelley (Team Tibco To The Top) s.t.
4. Wild Kirsten (Netherlands National Team) s.t.
5. Guarischi Barbara (Vaiano Fondriest) s.t.
6. Tagliaferro Marta (MCipollini Ale Galassia) s.t.
7. Kozonchuk Oxana (Rusvelo) s.t.
8. Amialiusik Alena (BePink) s.t.
9. Borgato Giada (Pasta zara Cogeas) s.t.
10. Hoskins Melissa (Orica Ais) s.t.
1. Abbott Mara (USA National Team) in 20h06'50"
2. Guderzo Tatiana (MCipollini Ale Galassia) at 2'28"
3. Hausler Claudia (Tibco To The Top) at 2'52"
4. Cauz Francesca (Top Girls Fassa Bortolo) at 3'01"
5. Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) at 4'50"
* PINK Derma Fresh, General Classification: Abbott Mara (USA National Team)
* CYCLAMEN Selle Italia, Points Classification: Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team)
* GREEN Saugella, KOM Classifications: Abbott Mara (USA National Team)
* WHITE Algida, Young Classification: Cauz Francesca (Top Girls Fassa Bortolo)
* BLUE Dama, Italian Classification: Guderzo Tatiana (MCipollini Ale Galassia)
VIDEO Stage VI Highlights and interviews with Mara Abbot (Team USA), Claudia Hausler (Team Tibco)
Giro Rosa: Mara Abbott stole the reign from Marianne Vos
Marianne Vos wins Stage 3 of the Giro Rosa
Haeusler moves into GC contention at Giro Rosa
Giorgia Bronzini wins Stage II of the Giro Rosa
Giro Rosa announces title song and live streaming news
Support the Daily Peloton
Celebrating our 11th year!
Copyright © 2002-2011
by Daily Peloton.